Whilst The House is very much a “working” building, concerned with the day to day running and administering the Charity and Guild, it also contains a wealth of artefacts and memorabilia given by Brethren over the years, so the House is also very much a museum in its own right. The Council Room still has reed straw scattered on the floor, as all the rooms in the building used to have, to gather up the mud and dust from the unpaved streets of the City in years gone by. The Cook Room is dedicated to many of the artefacts about Capt. James Cook and his voyages of exploration, which were financed in part by Wardens and Brethren of The House. And a small Museum contains many rare objects of antiquity and interest.
The present buildings were constructed in 1753 and completed with the addition of the pediment in 1759.
The original building on this site was occupied in 1461, to accommodate 13 pensioners; the rent payable to the Carmelite Monks was one shilling per year.
The present buildings were constructed as Almshouse accommodation with official rooms for the Board of the Guild.
There was dormitory accommodation for single men with a few rooms set aside for married couples.
The kitchens provided food for the pensioners served in the refectory.
There were communal washing facilities.
The original chapel is now used as the main office and other rooms are used as offices for various departments and functions.
The dormitory is used as storage and the House maintains a small flat for emergency use.
The Guild regularly uses the Reading Room, Council Room Canoe Room and Court Room.
The Cook Room has recently been refurbished and extended to include more museum exhibits.