In 1729 The Elder Brethren contracted with a Mr. Brown, Schoolmaster, to teach their own children “the art of navigation, writing and arithmetic.
In 1785 a committee was formed to enquire and examine the possibility of establishing a Marine School.
The guild had decided that there was a need for young men to be properly educated in seamanship and navigation before they went to sea, and on February 2nd 1787, the school opened with 36 boys, the first Marine School to be established.
The school has been on its present site for about 150 years. It converted to Academy Status in April 2012 and will move to new premises on George Street for the new academic year, in September 2013.
Trinity House maintains a strong link with the Academy, with Board Members and Trustees figuring largely on the Board of Governors. The Charity is committed to financially assisting the academy wherever possible. The Academy itself retains a strong ethos of tradition with the pupils wearing naval style uniform and senior pupils form “The White Squad” which wears the traditional uniform on ceremonial occasions. Two boys from The White Squad, with Halberds, escort the Wardens and Brethren on ceremonial processions outside The House.